What are mood-altering drugs?
Depressants and stimulants can produce dangerous side effects. Depressants and stimulants, two types of mood-altering drugs, change your brain chemistry. Although often effective for short-term medical conditions, both depressants and stimulants can be extremely dangerous when misused.
What is a mood-altering?
mood-altering in American English (ˈmudˌɔltərɪŋ ) adjective. capable of causing changes in mood. said esp. of drugs affecting chemical reactions in the brain.
How many mood stabilizers are there?
Types of Mood Stabilizers There are three broad types of mood stabilizing medication, lithium, anticonvulsants (medications originally developed for the treatment of seizure disorders), and antipsychotic medications.
Which drugs is an example of psychotropic drug?
Examples of psychotropic substances include alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, marijuana, and certain pain medicines. Many illegal drugs, such as heroin, LSD, cocaine, and amphetamines are also psychotropic substances. Also called psychoactive substance.
What are 3 examples of psychoactive drugs?
Examples of psychoactive substances include alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, marijuana, and certain pain medicines. Many illegal drugs, such as heroin, LSD, cocaine, and amphetamines are also psychoactive substances. Also called psychotropic substance.
What are the three categories of psychoactive drugs?
The main categories are: stimulants (e.g. cocaine) depressants (e.g. alcohol) opium-related painkillers (e.g. heroin)
What are the types of drug names?
There are three main types of names used for pharmaceutical substances: the chemical name, the International Nonproprietary Name (INN) also known as the approved or generic name, and the proprietary or brand name.
What are the 5 classification of drugs?
Here are the five main categories and some information about each:
- Central nervous system depressants.
- Central nervous system stimulants.
- Opiates and Opiodes.
What is the most common mood stabilizing drug?
The most common mood stabilisers are listed below.
- Lithium. Lithium is used for the long-term treatment of mania.
- Valproate. NICE guidance for bipolar disorder recommends valproate to treat episodes of mania and also for long-term treatment.
- Can I choose my medication?
What is classified as a mood stabilizer?
Lithium, anticonvulsants and antipsychotics are the three main types of drug which are used as mood stabilisers. There are several types of individual drug within each of these groups. Each of these individual drugs may be known by several different names, some of which we have listed in these pages.
What are the three types of affective disorders?
What are affective disorders?
- Depression. The main symptom of depression is a feeling of deep sadness. You may also feel hopeless, or that life isn’t worth living.
- Bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is sometimes called manic-depressive illness. That’s because it causes extreme mood swings.
What are the 2 types of mood disorders?
Two of the most common mood disorders are depression and bipolar disorder. This article will review these disorders and some of their many subtypes. Depression (major or clinical depression).
What are the six types of psychoactive drugs?
6 Types of Psychoactive Drugs
- Designer drugs.
What are the three types of drugs?
Drugs can be categorised by the way in which they affect our bodies:
- depressants – slow down the function of the central nervous system.
- hallucinogens – affect your senses and change the way you see, hear, taste, smell or feel things.
- stimulants – speed up the function of the central nervous system.